Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Taiwan-derlust

I wanna start this blog by saying how much I enjoyed my stay in Taiwan.
I stayed for 4 days and 3 nights but I swear I wanna stay there longer.
Red House Theater, 11/21
As you all probably noticed by now, I tend to travel during Novembers and specifically during Thanksgiving week because 1) It's a way for me to save a couple PTO days 2) I don't have work for Thanksgiving and the day after Thanksgiving.

My flight to Taipei was last November 21st at 7 AM. I went to the airport around 3 AM and I'm glad I did because the lines were just crazy. Line entering the airport was long, the line to pay for the Travel Tax was long and the line for the check-in counter was long as well. I spent like an hour or two falling in line. Tip: If you're flying via AirAsia, Opt-in to pay the Travel Tax when you purchase your tickets. After checking in my luggage, I went to Immigration that has long ass lines as well but since I went to the airport early, I was still a bit early for boarding so I had time to grab some breakfast at Starbucks. It took 2 hours to fly from Manila to Taipei-Taoyuan.
Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport - Terminal 1, 11/21
Arrived at Taoyuan Airport around 10 AM & damn Immigration line was so long too. Fun fact: Taiwan is visa-free for Philippine passport holders until Aug 2019. After that, I went to find the KKDay pocket Wi-Fi counter. For a solo traveler like me, it is essential to have an internet connection or else I would've been so lost lol. Besides, I only spent US$6-US$7 to rent the pocket Wi-Fi for 4 days which was very reliable. I didn't experience any downtime with it. Link to avail here. I also exchanged some of my money from PHP to NT$ at the airport – Tip: You can only exchange money at the airport or at Bank Of Taiwan. I totally knew this before my trip but I don't know why I just forgot and didn't exchange all my money at the airport.
Train from Taoyuan Airport Terminal 1 to Taipei Main Station, 11/21
So being a former strong independent woman who is trying to be a strong independent woman again, I rode the train from the airport to Taipei Main Station. I was so tempted to get a cab or über though but di na po tayo marupok. LOL. Then from Taipei Main Station, I tried to find the bus but I can't so I took a cab to Ximending area cause that's where the place I stayed at was located. It was only a 5-10 minutes drive and it only cost me around NT$100-NT$120. I stayed at Ximen Holiday Fun and I will definitely consider staying there again. The staff was so nice and helpful. I arrived way too early for the check-in time and since I didn't exchange enough money, I decided to go to the bank. It was a long walk, I can't even count how many blocks I walked but it was weird that I didn't get that tired. All throughout my trip, I had to walk a lot. My feet hurt but it was a good kind of pain. According to my iPhone's steps tracker, I apparently walked more or less than 200,000 steps all throughout my trip. LOL
Red House Theater, 11/21
First night in Taipei was nice. I walked around Ximending area. My hotel's location is so convenient to everything. Tip: Stay in Ximending area when you're going to Taipei. It is near the night market, shopping stores and, just everything. I only ate beef noodles that night. That is also the night my milktea addiction started... HAHAHA. I also hoarded some boxed drinks at Family Mart.
Boxed coffee from Family Mart, 11/22
I love how I was so committed on this trip.
I woke up early and was just so motivated to explore the city.
I love love love love how there are boxed coffee, milk tea or juice at Family Mart. There is even cereal with malt milk in one packaging.

Second day in Taipei, the plan was to go to the National Palace Museum.
It was cold that day. Bit rainy but I love how it was cold.
I took the bus and missed my stop so I had to do a roundtrip. lol
Tip: Install Google Maps & Google Translate
Most of the people in Taiwan don't really speak English so it was very helpful that I have Google translate. After missing my bus stop and doing a bus route roundtrip, I think it took me more or less than an hour, I arrived at the National Palace Museum. I availed my ticket beforehand at KKDay so it was smooth claiming my ticket. I just had to show my e-voucher. I don't know if it was cheaper but I bought my ticket for US$12. Link to avail the ticket here. I was hesitant to avail the audio guide cause the reviews were mostly disappointing and useless but damn I should've availed for it cause I didn't really understand anything inside the museum lol It was nice looking around. It was also very crowded so I had a hard time roaming around.
After the National Palace Museum, I went to Taipei 101.
I tried to eat at Din Tai Fung but damn I was too hungry to wait and ended up eating at Hawker Chan.
After late lunch, I walked around and decided to go to a nearby mall, ATT4Fun. I was looking to buy for a new jacket because my leather jacket was shedding. It was heartbreaking cause I love that jacket but it was cold and the leather shedding was getting worse. So it was time to say goodbye to my red leather jacket and bought my pink Pull & Bear jacket.
Taipei 101, 11/22
I tried to hike the Elephant Mountain but my feet were giving up on me and it was a good decision that I didn't because they said it was too foggy at the top to even see Taipei 101.
This photo was 10 minutes in the hiking trail.
After a long day of walking, I went back to my hotel and rested for a bit.
I went out around 7 ish to go eat at Ximending Night Market.
I pretty much ate a lot and random Taipei must-try street food.
Ay-Chung Flour Rice Noodles is definitely a must-try. There is a line but it is fast moving. They don't have chairs, so people pretty much stand around the store and eat. It was perfect for that Taipei night weather. #TaipeiEats 
We already have a Hot Star here in Manila but I just have to try this as well. I haven't tried the one here in Manila but they said it pretty much tastes the same. The only difference was the chicken is thicker in Taiwan than in Manila stores. PS that mango drink was the bomb as well. #TaipeiEats
Third day in Taipei was allotted for the KKDay Jiufen, Shiufen, and Yehliu Tour.
I took the bus to Taipei Main Station since the meeting area was in Taipei Main Station East Gate 1.
I arrived early so I just bought a burger and lemon juice at 711 for breakfast.
Most of the people on the tour were Filipinos so I didn't have a hard time.
Mushroom Rocks

First stop was Yehliu Geopark.
It was an hour away from Taipei Main Station.
There were different kinds of rock formation there but I swear I only saw the mushrooms and the leopard – that I accidentally deleted from my phone lol
Chicken wings stuffed with rice
Second stop was Shifen Old Street.
This is where the sky lanterns are from. They said it was nice at night here but there's not much to do here.
The Sky Lantern costs from NT$150-NT$300. There are several colors to choose from that has their own meaning.
The people there will help you light it up and take pictures and videos of you holding it until it flies away.
The chicken wings were recommended by our tour guide and she also said that it's cheaper to buy souvenirs here than Jiufen. Didn't buy any though since it was cheaper at Ximending lol
We had to cross this bridge to get to the waterfalls
We also had a quick stop at Shifen Waterfalls. It was only a 30-minute stop.
They also call it as 'rainbow falls' or 'Taiwan's niagara falls'.
It was beautiful and peaceful.
Heavenly cream puff
Last stop was Jiufen Old Street.
It was basically a street with side by side stores selling delicacies or street food or souvenirs.
We got a bit lost going around it and it was super crowded as well.
Luckily we have tour mates who can speak mandarin so we were able to navigate to the end of the street to bring us back where we started.

After that, we were off to go back to Taipei Main Station and it was 90 minutes away.
Overall, the tour was worth it. It only costs US$23 for the whole tour. Link here to avail.
The bus was nice, our itinerary was followed well. Our tour guide, Amy, was funny and approachable.

After the tour, I went back to my hotel to rest and freshen up. I left around 7PM to go to Shilin Night Market. Shilin Night Market is one of the go-to night markets and I can totally see why cause compared to Ximending Night Market there were more choices and it was bigger. I didn't eat much here because I got busy looking around. I will definitely go back here.
Beef Cubes with teriyaki sauce
This braised pork wasn't really that good but I was craving for rice lol but that MILKTEA WAS THE BOMB
After roaming around Shilin Night Market, I rode the bus and walked around Ximending. Mostly bought souvenirs and stuff to bring home this night cause my flight back to Manila was the next day at night.

Last day in Taipei, I (of course) went to the Zoo. Mainly to see the penguins and the panda. I rode the train to Taipei Zoo. I just LOVE the public transportation in Taiwan. I don't know if I've said that before but I just love it. I only had to take two trains to Taipei Zoo and it was super convenient.
Arrived around 9AM. Perfect timing as the zoo just opened. I used my EasyCard to pay for the entrance fee.
Ofcourse, flamingos. They look healthier than the ones I saw at Dusit Zoo at Bangkok.
I swear I have never seen an awake Koala. Reminded me of Alexon lol
I was so happy seeing not one but TWO elephants. SO HAPPY!!
So happy that I had to take a selfie ofcourse! 
Fact: It was my first time to see Camels in real life and not just on my iPhone's emoji keyboard
Too many turtles to count
Comfy Panda
I only had like 10 seconds to see this Panda cause there was a line and there were too many people but it was worth it cause he/she was so cooperative and just so cuuuuuuuuute
Had a lunch date with a Panda... JK! This was at the café located upstairs of the Panda House, near the gift shop. I swear it was meant to be because this table was of for one and it wasn't occupied when I got there. TRULY MEANT TO BE!!
Bolognese was yummm and worth the NT$
Conquered Taipei Zoo!!
I can say that going to Taipei Zoo was worth it. It has a lot to offer and the animals looked like they are all well taken care of. They look healthy and happy and they have a decent space to roam around and not feel so trapped. I love every second of it.
Healthy Penguins!!!
After Taipei Zoo, I wanted to go visit the memorial halls and temples but calculating the travel time and all that, I didn't have enough time to go back to my hotel to pack, get dinner and go to the airport 3 hours before my flight. Since my flight was at 1AM, I had to be at the airport by atleast 10PM and I wanted to take the train instead of spending NT$1000 for a cab. I really think it's not wise to take a cab in Taiwan since the public transportation is very reliable.
Packing situation. Thank God I was able to close it lol YES, I BOUGHT THREE BABIES AT TAIPEI ZOO lol A Panda, a Giraffe and a Penguin :)
I didn't get a chance to go to the usual tourist spots like the memorial halls and the temples but I swear I'm gonna go back. I love Taiwan. I will definitely be back. I left Manila lost and confused that I almost made a pass on this trip cause I was so lazy and depressed and just unmotivated, I came back somewhat renewed and feeling better. I got literally lost but still found my way. It all gave me a different perspective and a lot of hope that everything will be better in time. It gave me a time to renew and put myself back together again on my own. I'm glad I pushed through this trip.
Looking so tired but that I definitely missed that smile. This was on the train to the airport.
/All photos are taken with  iPhone X/

2 comments:

  1. love reading your blogs Erisse! believe it or not since college ko pa binabasa posts mo dito and I love how honest you are :) kept my name anonymous kasi mejo nahihiya pa ko hahaha. Continue posting and know that you are actually inspiring other ladies to be more independent ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! This warms my heart so muuuuch ☺️ I didn't know someone still reads my blog. I was out of it for a while. Thank you for the encouragement! I just wish you weren't anonymous though but I understand. In time, pakilala ka pls. Sending you light and love! ♡

      Delete